Sunday, February 12, 2017

My Approach In Hydrology

The third subject I am teaching every Saturday is Hydrology. I remember during interview that the dean wanted me to teach this since I have hands-on experience doing Flood Study.

So, I wanted my students to be able to fell the same fullfillment of doing a simple flood study especially since Valenzuela is always flooded as it lies near Manila Bay. Thus, while I asked the students to report on the subject, I injected my lecture with my experience and solve problems on board for the students to engage on the subject. Hydrology has very long problems unlike some subject, so I let the students form a group while solving the problem on board.

While doing the reporting per group, I assigned the students locations in Valenzuela to determine flooding scenarios and this require them going to PAGASA, purchasing the NAMRIA map, and picture taking on site to ask for maximum flood level the occupants experienced.

This sort of engaging the students with real life project motivates them to learn the subject and absorb it. Also, this made sure no dull moments in the 3 hour straight of lecture.


No comments:

Post a Comment