Monday, November 30, 2015

A Tribute to My Reviewer

During College days, we always refer to books that will help us survived each semester. One of the most reliable books then was Besavilla's reviewer. I used to admire this author because I was thinking he must be super intelligent to come up with books with all the theories in it which normal student can read in 3 or more college textbooks. Then I realized he is really not the the one who made up all the questions in the book. He just compiled all the questions from the past board examination and from other textbooks.

Now 8 years after graduation and passing the board exam, I still refer to this book for my professional practice. With the advent of internet and explosions of information readily available to engineers, I still believe that having a book like this, a hardcopy, is still a must. I remember writing about why I preferred old books over new books. New books will bombard you with lots of code provisions and new formulas from the code. On the contrary, this old book will focus on the concepts, why this and that, without straying you away from what is really important. Ironically, this one is just a reviewer. And not a pure textbook about concrete concepts.

Furthermore, many young engineers tend to rely too much on softwares output without double checking the result in the theory. And this kind of reviewer textbook will help you out definitely. With my blog about Finite element in STAAD, I would not be too confident writing about that without the help of this hardcopied textbooks. Thanks so much my friend.

Since this is a tribute to this book during my innocent years, I will insert a vid of musics then that moves us..






No comments:

Post a Comment